Ancillary Probate2020-05-29T01:28:09+00:00

Ancillary Probate

Ancillary Probate Attorney Anaheim

Ancillary probate is a probate proceeding that occurs when someone dies with property in more than one state or dies while residing in one state with property in another.

Where to File Probate in Southern California

The deceased’s executor will generally open a probate action in each state where the decedent owned property. The state where the decedent was a resident at the time of death would be the main probate action, while the additional states where the decedent owned property would be ancillary probate actions. For example, if the deceased lived in Colorado and had assets in both Colorado, California, and Nevada, his executor would file a probate action in Colorado, but the Colorado court can’t transfer the property in California and Nevada to the deceased’s heirs. Rather, a probate attorney would need to file ancillary probate actions in California and Nevada to begin the transfer of those out-of-state assets to the deceased’s heirs.

Where Did the Deceased Live?

While the main probate action should be filed where the deceased lived at the time of death, sometimes determining where someone officially resided isn’t so straightforward. The factors that determine where someone resided include:

  • Where the deceased lived;
  • Where the deceased was registered to vote;
  • Where the deceased’s driver’s license was issued; and
  • Where they received their mail.

Who Can Initiate an Ancillary Probate Proceeding in California?

Once a personal representative is appointed by the court for the primary probate proceedings, the representative can begin ancillary proceedings in each state where the deceased owns property. The representative will present a certified copy of the will to the out-of-state courts for the ancillary probate proceedings.

Ancillary probate actions can add additional time and expense to the distribution of your estate. But with planning, I can help you avoid multiple actions and ensure that your estate is distributed as quickly as possible to your family and heirs. If you are facing a possible ancillary probate situation after the death of a loved one, I can help as well. Call me at 714-639-1990 or send me an email to schedule a consultation.

contact us

Our Blog

303, 2021

Do I Need a Lawyer to Do a Trust?

It’s important for everyone to think carefully about their estate, especially in the face of ill health or in advanced age. While you probably have some ideas as to how [...]

1002, 2021

What Is the Main Purpose of Estate Planning?

Do you have confidence that your family will have easy access to your assets and property after your death? An Orange County estate planning lawyer is a fantastic resource if [...]

902, 2021

How Do You Avoid Probate?

Probate is the legal process of transferring a deceased individual’s ownership rights upon their death. When the deceased person has no estate plan, will, trust, or other formal documents in [...]

view all blogs

From Our Clients

Go to Top